Friday, May 31, 2013

Stupid Cancer


Well, I have a lot of things on my plate right now. Tomorrow I have about 60 people coming to honor my dad at his memorial. I've been working hard every night after work this week to prepare things; get the menu together, work on the guest list, talk with dad's friends, make signs, etc. It's been nice to concentrate on dad this week. It's make me miss him more, but I am very excited to see his friends tomorrow. 

Among the items on my plate is the fact that my mom's health is downgrading. Now, not to the point of imminent death, but to a point where it is getting scary. You'll see in the email chain below that the appointment today was okay, but that it is apparent that mom is......failing? Not bouncing back? Being taken down by MBC? Let's face it, since December, she's lost 20 pounds with barely any weight gain back. That's not a good thing.

So I have decided to soldier on for this weekend and to try to not get bogged down with this depressing news. I've decided I'll get back into the cancer game after dad's memorial is done. I'll hop in the drivers seat and drive this car off the cliff if I have to. Because I don't see this car going to any sort of nice destination.




From: Kasey
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:40 PM
To: Jessica F
Subject: RE: Did Katie call you?



            Oh I forgot to mention – she only weighs 126 pounds. She weighed 135 only 3 months ago. It’s a gradual thing, but because we see her all the time, we don’t notice how much she’s changed. I don’t know when her scan is. Probably sometime next week.


From: Jessica F
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:30 PM
To: Kasey
Subject: RE: Did Katie call you?

Well, that’s a little hard to read, especially the “she’s getting worse” thing. I guess I’ve known that it’s getting bad, but I haven’t been concentrating on it. Do you know how far out the next scan will be?

From: Kasey
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 11:52 AM
To: Jessica F
Subject: RE: Did Katie call you?

Well that’s not all the info:

·         Dr. believes the spot on the skull is strictly bone and nothing to worry about
·         There are 4 small nodules that have popped up in the past month around her left rib – it’s definitely cancerous, but it hasn’t broke through the skin like the other ones.
·         He doesn’t want to do any treatment until they do another scan (bone scan already done in April – he doesn’t think a brain scan is necessary)
·         The bone spots he wants to watch are the 3 places in her ribs, lower spine (3rd), back right hip and the one by her pelvis. Everything else is minimal.
·         His main worry right now is the nodules and her lung/breathing issues

It wasn’t a bad appointment. Mom isn’t dying right now, but she is slowly getting worse. I don’t see it getting better – especially with the horrible cough she hasL

Mom and dad said they are coming to your dad’s memorial tomorrow. So she is feeling a little better and up to going out and doing things!

No comments:

Post a Comment